2 (8”) Ole’ Tortillas
1 C Ole Quesadilla cheese, shredded
½ lb. tomatillos
3 Serrano chilies
6 garlic cloves, peeled, divided
½ C cilantro, chopped
Chicken Broth, enough to cover tomatillos
½ lb. pork loin
1-2 C water
4 dried guajillo chiles
¼ tsp. cumin, ground
¼ tsp. oregano, dried
½ C pineapple juice
¼ C white vinegar
1 ½ C red onion, sliced thinly, tanned**
1 Avocado, sliced thinly
• For green salsa; in a medium pot over low-medium heat, add tomatillos, Serrano peppers, garlic, cilantro and chicken broth. Cover and simmer until ingredients are soft. Stir, taste and adjust flavoring as needed.
• When ready, pour mixture into a large bowl, add cilantro and chopped onion, and combine thoroughly. Set aside for service.
• For pork marinade; using the same pot over medium-high heat, add water, dried chilies, garlic, cumin, oregano, pineapple juice, vinegar and bring to a boil. Boil until smooth, pour into a blender and mix well. Place the pork in a large bowl, and pour marinade over, turning to coat well. Allow to marinate while preparing the grill.
• Grill pork until cooked through, remove and allow to “rest” for at least 10 minutes. Cut into strips for service.
• To serve, lay 1 tortilla flat and spread cheese evenly, on top place the sliced pork, cover with another tortilla and place in a skillet and brown until cheese melts. Cut into four pieces and serve with green salsa, red onions and fresh avocado.
• Serve immediately.
** Tanned a red onion
1 ½ C red onion, sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, peeled
3 Tbsp. white sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. salt
½ tsp. black peppercorns, whole
1 C white vinegar
In a large glass bowl, place the onion and garlic, set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar, salt, and peppercorns. Add the vinegar and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Place a lid on top of pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Once boiling, pour the vinegar over the sliced onion and garlic. Press the onion down so everything is covered, then let the mixture cool to room temperature.
Can be refrigerated in a non-reactive container for up to 3-4 weeks.